19.11.10

Subject Humanity

What does the subject, Humanity, mean to me?


Humanity is extremely important to me. I ponder the phenomenon of our existence every day. Although I am fascinated by humans, I do not look at the subject of our existence through a religious perspective: I look at it through a scientific one. Nevertheless, it may seem as though 'science' takes all the fun out of the new and unknown, in many broad realms, science can tie into the beliefs that mostly all humans have, those of which connect humans together in the same way (small scale vs. large scale). 


Overall, what I plan to do for this Humanities study is attempt to connect the scientific universe to the religious universe. In doing so, I will explore how humans perceive themselves throughout the galaxies: do we perceive the universe and ourselves as phenomena of scientific facts, or are we and the universe creations of one religious ruler? Are we contained inside of the universe? or is the universe trapped inside of us?     

5 comments:

  1. Wow marcus way to go all Greek philosopher on us (just kidding). On a more serious note I do get what your saying and I think that's a really cool way to look at the humanity unit. I look at our existence from a religious perspective,but perhaps thinking outside the box and looking at existence from a scientific perspective could expand my knowledge and get me to not think so close-minded about our human existence. Oh and nice philisophical questions at the end. Personally I think that we are contained inside the universe, but hey depending on if we go with your idea or not that could change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you're going to do with this unit is really interesting. I never really thought of how science and religion could be connected, but who's to say that it's not? I think you're task may be a hard one, but it will definetly be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but think that when you say small scale vs. large scale, I think of quantum theory and theory of relativity. Your approach is very interesting and I feel as if you have a monumental task ahead of you, but hopefully with the help of this unit, you will come closer to finding your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcus, I admire the complexity of your task and of the questions you've posed. My question to you is: where do you think you'll begin? What's the first step?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll start with researching both science and religion; I'll then find the differences between the two subjects, along with their similarities. After finding their similarities, I'll attpemt to come up with my own "thesis" on how religion and science could possibly be combined (by any means possible). It will be a difficult task indeed.

    ReplyDelete