16.5.11

Linguistics

For me, language and cognitive sciences are passions that exceed all other subjects known to human existence. My love for language derives from an indescribable and unknown source. It may be that I find interest in the sociological themes, which lay seemingly hidden throughout linguistics as a whole. On a related note, it is possible that my fascination revolves around the fact that humans can be extremely-diverse, in the sense that diversity is an effect of language and its uses and themes. Another prediction, which supports my enthusiasm, could be the evolution of language. Now, when I say, "the evolution of language," I am not talking specifically about the transition from one word to the other; rather, I commend an interest in the evolution of pragmatic and cultural meaning, grammar, writing systems, and logical processes. Overall, I am astounded by the natural and artistic flow, with which language defines itself. I am also impressed by the complexity of such a naturally-occurring subject.



My interests in linguistics cause me to settle into a more specific realm of this astounding subject. Overall, I believe that the transition of Indo-European languages is an evolutionary pattern which is worthy of studying. I find that the comparison of all European languages allows me to perceive each language more clearly, and most importantly, to understand my own language at its greatest potential.



Children are prone to believe that the acquisition of linguistic knowledge is a factor solely-dependent upon the lexicon of the other language. With a moderately-matured sense of direction in the field of language, one would know that language is dependent upon the application of these words; in other terms, grammar. For example, one could easily obtain the Dutch words, "kat," "hebben," "ik," and "een." The true art of a partially-matured sense of linguistics is the ability to mold these words into the sentence, "Ik heb een kat." People, who are linguistically-talented, are those who can take this simple phrase and mold it into something much more poetic and artistic. For instance, instead of saying that "Ik heb een kat," I could add that "Mijn kat is groot en pluizig." Yes, I will agree that this concept seems too simple for an intelligent reality; the real "catch" lies within the fact that not many people parse their language on a daily basis, and nor do they know comparative linguistics through this fashion.



On a personal level, I love the sounds of different languages when they are spoken near me. To hear somebody speak quickly in a tongue, which I would love to study, is a phenomenal event. For example, when I traveled to Denmark in my ninth-grade year, I heard a myriad of Danish speakers conversing in one of the most vibrant Nordic languages in the world. I have always wished that I could have understood them. I would have loved to have known what they thought, and overall, how their language affected their associations with foreigners.



I could continue for weeks about my personal interest, yet I will stop here. Overall, language is a complex art, one that is tedious, yet intellectually worthy of grasping.

No comments:

Post a Comment